First things first, Are you eating breakfast? There is a reason why they say it’s the most important meal of the day. Think about it! You have been sleeping for 8 hours, and while you were laying there your body was hard at work all night. By the time you wake up your system needs fuel to keep that hard work going.
Benefits to eating breakfast:
- Breakfast kick starts your metabolism
- After fasting all night, eating right away will provide energy. Breakfast should be consumed within the first couple hours of waking up
- Eating your first meal of the day will keep you from binging on food later
Make sure you are eating the right kind of healthy breakfast. For years I ate a big bowl of yogurt, piled high with strawberries and granola. What I didn’t realize is the amount of sugar I was consuming. This amount of sugar first thing will spike your blood sugar and cause a crash soon after. It’s important to eat correctly. It’s not as difficult as you may think. Start by switching to eggs, which are high in protein and keep you full longer. The best part is there are so many different ways you can prepare them that I have yet to get tired of the taste.
Example of a healthy breakfast:
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1 Whole Egg
- Half grapefruit
- 1 1/2 cup of cooked oatmeal
What to do if you have to eat out:
- Order your breakfast and specify to NOT cook with oil and butter. By taking this out you’ll easily reduce a couple hundred calories
- Most fast food place have healthy options for breakfast like:
- Starbucks Artisan Snack Plate *Warning eat only half the cheese and PB
- McDonalds oatmeal *NO brown sugar sub for honey
- McDonalds scrambled eggs
I have a lot of people that tell me they don’t like eggs. My solution is get creative! One of the best go to recipes is French Toast!
- Udis Gluten Free Bread – Two Pieces
- In a bowl combine your 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg
- Add 1 TBS of cinnamon
- Add a few drops of Vanilla and Hazelnut Stevia
- In a large skillet, spray pan with coconut oil
- Coat the bread using all the batter and place in skillet to cook
- Once cooked I like to top with a little honey and more cinnamon
There are plenty of breakfast options. My recommendation to start eating the right breakfast is wake up 20 minutes earlier to make sure you have time to cook your own meal. The one good thing about the French Toast is you can make it in advance and warm it up at work if you don’t have time!
Don’t forget to add your breakfast into your food tracker!